Skip to main content

Paste Ninja Goes Multilingual

Chris Cornutt was nice enough to give Paste Ninja (the premier PHP-powered pastebin app) some exposure by highlighting it on PHPDeveloper.org a week or so ago. Thanks, Chris! As a result of the extra publicity, the site saw an increase in traffic as people came to check it out. I hope they liked what they saw... but stay tuned, because there's more features to come!

It was interesting to look through the access logs afterward. There are a lot of pastebins available on the Internet, but the feature set and usability of the application is what will help differentiate it from the rest. The list of countries from which various people visited and the values of their browser's Language-Accept headers peeked my interest, and I realized that I needed to offer Paste Ninja's interface in multiple languages so people could use my service in whichever language they may find the most comfortable. So, Paste Ninja is now multilingual!

The goal is to translate PasteNinja's interface into the top 10 or so languages. I'm obviously not not going to be able to accurately translate all of the necessary text into each language myself, so I've started enlisting some help.

Years ago I studied French and Esperanto, so those were the first two languages I targeted. I then searched out people who were willing to review my work and correct any grammar deficiencies and the like. With the help of Babelfish, Google Translate, and some very creative Internet searching, I was able to produce rough translations in other languages.

If you ever need a professional French translator, Sophie Vialaneix is unbelievably good in every way and comes with my highest recommendation. She was so friendly and professional that it made me wish I had more text for her to review (thanks, Sophie)! Remi Woler from #phpc was wonderful and offered to correct my Dutch (thanks, Remi). My friend and co-worker Bobby Mladenov graciously provided a Bulgarian translation (thanks, Bobby), and Dr. Wing Ming Chan is also graciously providing a Chinese translation (thanks, Wing). Keep their efforts in mind as well when you see text that doesn't read "Grandmother your password here."

The interface is available in other languages as well, such as German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. These were produced with translation software and some creative Internet searching, so expect them to be less-than-perfect. I will revise the translations as I find people proficient in them who are willing to review them. If you'd like to volunteer your skills, just leave a comment and let me know!

Oh, and the interface is also available in Pig Latin just for fun. I'm sure Ben Ramsey will be happy to take all the credit for that idea. ;)

Update 12/21/08: David Zülke was kind enough to review the German translation. Thanks, David!

Update 12/23/08: Sacha Poznyak was kind enough to review the Russian translation, Ali Curtis was kind enough to review the Spanish translation, and David Cole was kind enough to review the Portuguese. Thanks, Sacha, Ali and David!

Update 12/31/08: Shahar Fisher was gracious enough to donate his time to review the Hebrew translation. Thank you, Shahar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Composing Music with PHP

I’m not an expert on probability theory, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. And even my Music 201 class from years ago has been long forgotten. But if you’ll indulge me for the next 10 minutes, I think you’ll find that even just a little knowledge can yield impressive results if creatively woven together. I’d like to share with you how to teach PHP to compose music. Here’s an example: You’re looking at a melody generated by PHP. It’s not the most memorable, but it’s not unpleasant either. And surprisingly, the code to generate such sequences is rather brief. So what’s going on? The script calculates a probability map of melodic intervals and applies a Markov process to generate a new sequence. In friendlier terms, musical data is analyzed by a script to learn which intervals make up pleasing melodies. It then creates a new composition by selecting pitches based on the possibilities it’s observed. . Standing on Shoulders Composition doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Bach wa

Learning Prolog

I'm not quite sure exactly I was searching for, but somehow I serendipitously stumbled upon the site learnprolognow.org a few months ago. It's the home for an introductory Prolog programming course. Logic programming offers an interesting way to think about your problems; I've been doing so much procedural and object-oriented programming in the past decade that it really took effort to think at a higher level! I found the most interesting features to be definite clause grammars (DCG), and unification. Difference lists are very powerful and Prolog's DCG syntax makes it easy to work with them. Specifying a grammar such as: s(s(NP,VP)) --> np(NP,X,Y,subject), vp(VP,X,Y). np(np(DET,NBAR,PP),X,Y,_) --> det(DET,X), nbar(NBAR,X,Y), pp(PP). np(np(DET,NBAR),X,Y,_) --> det(DET,X), nbar(NBAR,X,Y). np(np(PRO),X,Y,Z) --> pro(PRO,X,Y,Z). vp(vp(V),X,Y) --> v(V,X,Y). vp(vp(V,NP),X,Y) --> v(V,X,Y), np(NP,_,_,object). nbar(nbar(JP),X,3) --> jp(JP,X). pp(pp(PREP,N

What's Wrong with OOP

Proponents of Object Oriented Programming feel the paradigm yields code that is better organized, easier to understand and maintain, and reusable. They view procedural programming code as unwieldy spaghetti and embrace OO-centric design patterns as the "right way" to do things. They argue objects are easier to grasp because they model how we view the world. If the popularity of languages like Java and C# is any indication, they may be right. But after almost 20 years of OOP in the mainstream, there's still a large portion of programmers who resist it. If objects truly model the way people think of things in the real world, then why do people have a hard time understanding and working in OOP? I suspect the problem might be the focus on objects instead of actions. If I may quote from Steve Yegge's Execution in the Kingdom of Nouns : Verbs in Javaland are responsible for all the work, but as they are held in contempt by all, no Verb is ever permitted to wander about